Direct-to-Consumer selling is all about selling directly to the end customers via online medium, strengthening customers relationships, and understanding what they expect out of a brand.
Simply put, for you to master the direct-to-consumer (D2C) sales format you need to focus more on the needs of your consumer rather than just providing them with whatever service you have.
Sounds easy right? Well, it is a little more complex to do than said!
Are you planning to take the D2C Selling route? Are you looking for detailed strategies to make the most out of the direct-to-consumer trend that can allow your business to partake in this new technology in the best possible way?
Sellers, retailers, brands – both small or big – have been keeping up with the new-age trend of the D2C business model that not only reaps many benefits but empowers your business to keep growing with the changing reality.
But, what is it about D2C that makes it the buzzword around the e-commerce world? Read on to get all the unique insights.
Why are e-commerce Businesses going for D2C? Trends & Benefits!
In India, almost every brand wants to become Direct-to-Consumer as it has proved to be a savior for a lot of businesses amid the pandemic times. Be it budding entrepreneurs or established enterprises, the demand to go D2C is overwhelming in the nation. A report by Avendus highlights that the D2C segment alone could have USD 100 billion addressable market by 2025.
As customers have now transitioned from shopping traditionally to the online platforms – which are trying to develop similar experiences to that of buying in a store with the help of AI (try and buy, shop in wheels, etc.) – D2C has pushed businesses to rethink their online sales strategy.
Right from building a strong consumer experience to creating complete visibility of trends, brands are leveraging some of these crucial aspects using D2C.
But again, the question is that what are the aspects that persuade a retailer to shift to the D2C business model? Let’s dive into the concept and understand the benefits of the trend, shall we?
Benefits of adopting a direct-to-consumer sales model!
- Complete Control Over Brand Portrayal
When you are able to have control over your brand’s identity, you are able to build a strong presence.
For example, by going D2C, a manufacturer is establishing a direct connection with the consumers. Moreover, the elimination of middlemen could also remove the distortion of branding messages. Hence, strategizing a D2C e-commerce plan, delivering the products to the end customers, D2C gives manufacturers full control to drive better customer experiences.
- Potential to Grow and Increase Brand Loyalty
With a complete understanding of what customers want, businesses can follow up on all the latest trends and requirements to constantly evolve their products and deliver the best to their consumers, giving them customized services and developing brand loyalty.
- Utilizing Omnichannel Technology
Another significant advantage of going D2C is that brands are no longer required to stick to a single platform to maintain sales when you have clarity of what your customers are shopping for, you also have visibility on where they are shopping from the most.
- Increase Profit Margins
The first and the most important advantage of going D2C is the amplified business profit margins. How? Well, middlemen sometimes cost you more than your cash inflow, leading to less or no profits. But the D2C retail works on the principles of self-service and automation, which thoroughly remove the participation of intermediaries, making it easier for you to make more profits.
With D2C, you are aware of the major sales channels to be present on, be it online or offline, and drive the traffic from there. Building the right omnichannel strategies can doubly benefit manufacturers and e-commerce businesses to further exponentiate sales.
How to adapt Direct to Consumer (D2C) eCommerce Selling?
There has been a global wave to go D2C due to the significant spike in sales achieved from it. But how can you adapt D2C e-commerce selling and what are things you definitely need to consider before implementing a D2C strategy?
Let’s hear from some of the most sought-after e-commerce enablers who are empowering D2C brands like yours!
- “The ones who are offering curated and unique offerings are leading the market. Moreover, maintaining a support system is of supreme importance, right from invoicing solutions to logistics and warehousing solutions,” Mahadevan Gopalkrishnan – Director of Sales, Payoneer.
- “There are three aspects when it comes to determining the kind of partners a D2C brand needs to work with; expertise of the platform, on-platform expertise, and merchandising or the category expertise. All three are very crucial in scaling your D2C brand,” Amit Monga – Co-founder, ANS Commerce.
- “Sometimes it becomes difficult to scale business during intense competition. Therefore, it is advisable to pick a niche of customer base,” Abhiroop Medhekar – CEO & Co-founder Velocity.
- “When a brand starts to expand its portfolio, its orders surge with time, due to which it becomes difficult for the brand to manage and fulfill them timely. To work efficiently in such circumstances, it’s important for a D2C brand to opt for an order management solution,” Swarndeep Singh – Managing Director, Logic ERP Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
- Moreover, Pallavi Utagi, Founder and CEO at Superbottoms also talked about how a D2C brand can grow exponentially. She says, “The brands should rather focus on a few products while going deep into them than expanding their product portfolio. It will unnecessarily complicate things especially when a brand is at its growth stage”.
Take a look at the session of the businesses/brands mentioned above!
Some key strategies on how to adapt Direct to Consumer (D2C ) include:
- Balance out both marketplace and website selling, with a clear focus on driving sales from the marketplaces and using the website to drive the narrative of the brand.
- Build a strategy to service customers from wherever they shop from, instead of restricting the brand to only one form of the sales channel.
- Organizational structure is the most important aspect of transitioning to a D2C brand. Have a dedicated team to analyze through data, customer expectations and create a road map from there.
- Utilize social media channels, marketplaces, and own websites to understand the target audience first.
- Design and optimize your website and focus on direct-to-consumer marketing which includes developing quality content around your product, running campaigns that can attract customers but at the same time keep the value of your brand intact.
The biggest derivative of adapting direct to consumer business model is to ensure that your brand is easy to search, has quick buying options, strong customer support and efficient logistics assistance.
Chumbak is one such successful brand that has effortlessly transitioned to a D2C brand with the help of highly advanced technological solutions and now sells across all possible channels including their own online and offline stores as well as leading marketplaces like Amazon, Myntra etc.
Know how investing in the right technology solutions helped Chumbak boost sales across multiple sales channels.
Direct to Consumer (D2C) eCommerce Solution
If you haven’t yet started to make the transition and worry about the processes involved, we are here to help you with our expertise to ensure your business is capable of adjusting to this new arena smoothly.
Unicommerce is your one-stop plug-and-play e-commerce technology platform that provides highly advanced supply chain solutions and has been simplifying e-commerce selling for over 15,000+ e-commerce sellers, retailers, and brands.
SUGAR Cosmetics, mCaffeine, FabAlley, Flomattress, Chumbak, House of Anita Dongre, Aurelia, Bakersville, Portronics, Headphonezone, Forever 52, Superbottoms, Edamama, Ellana, etc., are some of the biggest brands who have adapted the D2C technique of sales with the help of Unicommerce and have seamlessly automated their operations across online & offline sales channels.
Furthermore, the solutions by Unicommerce are designed to benefit e-commerce businesses by enabling sustainable operations that result in growth, cost efficiency, and an overall increase in productivity.